Have you ever wondered what makes cannabis smell so amazing? We can thank terpenes for the unique aromatic profiles of each cannabis strain.
Every terpene has its own distinct aroma, and every terpene has specific ways in which they affect us when we consume cannabis. Terpenes are naturally occurring and there have been over 30,000 terpenes found and identified in the natural world.
What are terpenes?
Terpenes are a molecule found in the plant’s trichomes and give flowering cannabis plants the frosty look. There have been about 200 terpenes found and identified in cannabis, but some are more common than others. The most common cannabis terpenes are also found in pepper, lavender, lemon, pine, and hops. Every terpene has its own specific effects and terpenes are better used to describe the effects of a strain, instead of categorizing strains as indicas and sativas.
Check out the list of terpenes below and the strains you can look for to try these terpenes. Learn more about terpenes by coming into Alkaloid Cannabis Company in Spokane or check out Leafly.
- Aroma and taste: Strong citrus
- Also found in: lemon rind, orange rind, and Juniper.
- Popular strains with Limonene: Banana OG, Cinex, Do-Si-Dos, MAC, Wedding Cake, and White Fire OG
Myrcene: the most common terpene found in cannabis
- Aroma and taste: hoppy and mango
- Also found in: Hops, mango, Lemongrass, and thyme
- Popular strains with Myrecene: OG Kush, Blue Dream, 9 Pound Hammer, Grape Ape, and Granddaddy Purple
- Aroma and taste: Strong pine
- Also found in: pine needles, rosemary, and basil
- Popular strains with Pinene: Big Smooth, Blue Dream, God’s Gift, Kosher Tangie, and Cannatonic
- Aroma and taste: Peppery, Clove
- Also found in: black pepper, basil, and oregano
- Popular strains with Caryophyllene: GSC, Sour Diesel, Candyland, Cookies and Cream, and Gelato
- Aroma and taste: Lavender, floral
- Also found in: Lavender
- Popular strains with Linalol: Do-Si-Dos, Scooby Snacks, and Zkittles
Check out these Leafly articles to learn more about terpenes